BAHAMA VILLA RENTAL, EXUMA, BAHAMAS....ABOUT EXUMA BAHAMAS
BAHAMA VILLA RENTAL~IS AN ESTABLISHED MAJOR SUPPLIER OF RENTAL HOMES IN EXUMA, BAHAMAS, $800.00 P/WK & UP. CONNECTING YOU
WITH FABULOUS VACATION FOR ALL.
BAHAMA VILLA RENTAL~is an established major supplier of Rental Homes in
Exuma, Bahamas. We can connect you with the best Real Estate Agents and
Brokers on Exuma
ABOUT EXUMA AND THE BAHAMAS
Thanks to laws passed in 1994, it is now easier than ever for non-Bahamians to own property in the country. To stimulate investment, the government has eliminated the double rate of stamp duty that foreigners were forced to pay. The tax-free economy, business-friendly laws and affordable luxury realty are sure to seduce you during your next visit to Exuma.
Real estate not only for locals:
Non-Bahamians are allowed to buy developed or undeveloped property, as long as they register the purchase with local authorities. Some properties may require permits or a certificate depending on the value of the property.
When you are out exploring the surrounding islands, you might want to bring your treasure map because history tells us there just might as well be booty to be plundered in this area of the world!
In 1492, Mr. Columbus landed on the island of San Salvador in the Bahamas. Named “Baja Mar”, which means “shallow sea”, these islands were inhabited as early as 300 to 400 CE.
Very important shipping channels eventually surrounded the Bahamas. Because of this, piracy became a common practice in this area. The many cays and inlets became hiding spots for the criminal pirates and their treasures. Imagine what fun it would be to create a treasure map for your children or even your partner and make it a special outing or activity to do together!
The official language of the Bahamas is English, so if you are reading this and understanding it, then you should be fine for communicating while you are in the Bahamas. The local Bahamian dialect is somewhat understandable, and locals will switch to a Standard English for those who are not accustomed to the dialects which vary slightly from island to island.
If you have ever wanted to try a James Bond move, a visit to Great Exuma might give you that opportunity. Since in the Bahamas, we drive on the left, you can pretend that you are Mr. Bond (or perhaps Austin Powers, depending on your preference!)
The latest census shows us that the approximate population of the Bahamas is only 225, 000 people. Georgetown has a population of about 800 and all of Great Exuma is populated by only about 1300 people. Informal studies say that if you spend at least one full year in the Bahamas, you will share a rum punch with approximately half that number (tease!).
A Brief History of Exuma Islands:
These islands were once called Suma and Yummy. The very first settlements were established by the Lucayan Indians, descendents of the first inhabitants of the Bahamas, who traveled the long boat voyage to the Caribbean from Africa's Mosquito Coast region.
Suma and Yummy underwent many transformations over the years. In the 1500s, the Spanish arrived and turned the area into a productive salt raking colony. Eventually, Exuma became the main salt mining island of the area.
In the 1700s, American Loyalists left their homes after the war and came to the islands with their slaves to establish cotton plantations. During this period, Exuma, Cat Island and Long Island became important exporters of cotton. However, in time, cotton crops failed due to depletion of the soil and plant infestation by caterpillars.
Of course, piracy has always been part of the islands’ history. Exuma’s countless hidden coves and cays made it an ideal place for pirates to take refuge and hide their stolen goods.
Interesting Places to Visit in the Exumas:
Without question, history buffs will wish to explore the ruins of Hermitage Estate and the old tombs of Rolle Town, but they should also check out The Salt Beacon, an important landmark on the island. This 30-foot tall structure was built to help guide ships, most of which were part of the important salt trade during that era.
You will try new things while you are visiting Great Exuma
Here is a partial list of some of the things that you must try (c’mon, at least once!) while you are here:
- Kalik: the local, very tasty beer
- Conch (pronounced konk on this island): the firm, white, peach-fringed meat from a large type of ocean mollusc. Fresh, uncooked conch is delicious; the conch meat is scored with a knife, and lime juice and spices are sprinkled over the mea.
- Souse: a soup unique to the Caribbean. It is a simple broth made with onions, lime juice, celery, peppers and meat
- Ox tail or pig’s feet: most people have not tried these tender meats before and they add a rich, spicy taste to soups and dishes
- Coconut water: Not to be confused with heavier coconut milk. Try it blended with sweet milk and gin for a refreshing beverage
- “The Switcher”: a native drink made with limes that many people swear it tastes better than any other citrus drink
- The People-to-People program: This Encounter program matches up volunteer Bahamians with visitors. The volunteers act as hosts to visitors for the shared goal of sharing each other’s cultures and helping visitors feel at home.
- Criquet: You have probably heard of this sport. Take advantage of your trip to the Bahamas to enjoy this British sport. Cricket season runs March through November.
- Pink Flamingo Stickers: Just so you know, if a store has a pink flamingo sticker on their door or window it means that this store meets strict government guidelines and that all their brands are authentic. (The flamingo is the official bird).
- Sky Juice a local drink that is a mix of coconut milk, coconut rum and gin, then shaken. It is very rich.
BE A HOMEOWNER/LANDOWNER:
The costs of owning Bahamas Real Estate
1. Real estate in Exuma offers everything from condos to private islands. Talk to your agent for a better estimate of the price of realty based on your specifications.
2. Both the buyer and seller are responsible to split the Legal fees on the sale of a property which are usually 2.5 % on the first $500,000, another 2% of the next $500,000, 1% of the next $4,000,000 and .5% thereafter. There are a number of experienced law firms based in Nassau, Bahamas.
3. Stamp Duty. The stamp duty is the sales tax split equally between the vendor and purchaser. The rate varies from 4% to 12% depending on the value of the property.
4. Property Tax. Property tax in The Bahamas varies from zero to 1.5% depending on the value of the occupied residence.
5. Real Estate Commission. The real estate commission in The Bahamas is 6% for developed property and 10% for undeveloped property.
6. The little things. Of course, don’t forget the other fees of owning property such as electricity, telephone services, landscaping, general property maintenance and insurance (optional, but recommended).
7. Once you discover all that Exuma has to offer, you will fall in love with this island paradise. Sunny days, sandy beaches, clear water, and warm people: it doesn’t just have to be a dream.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau (below) and Family spent there Holiday on one of the many Islands/Cays in Exuma with Prince Aga Khan
Rich and Famous visiting Exuma in The Bahamas
Canadians love the Exumas from November thru May each year, when weather is at its worst in Canada....EXUMA is the boating capitol of the Bahamas for Canadians, USA, and Eurpoeans.
Other famous owners and vistors of the EXUMAS are:Prince Aga Khan (above photo), Faith Hill, David Copperfield, Mel Gibson, Richard Branson, Eddie Murphy,Larry Ellison, Paul Allen, Celine Dion,Tommy Lee, Louis Bacon, John Malone, Johnny Depp, Barclay Brothers,Craig McCaw, Dean Keamen to name a few.
(picture above seen in the CalgaryHerald.com)
BEACH FRONT PROPERTY FOR SALE INQUIRE WITHIN
Sparkling clean windows not only accentuate your views but tell the buyer you have taken great care of your home.
Learn more about how to sell your property.
Bahama Villa Rental
BH. LIC. #18 00119932
732-391-5164 ~ USA
242-445-7350 ~ BAHAMAS
Or use our contact form
- Real Estate Sales
- Development Consulation
- New Business Development
- Project Managers Service for your site
- Home Rental Services
- Conceirge Services
- Transportation Advise
- Rental Agents
- Property Management
- Pre-financing Liaison
- Insurance Liaison
- NARPM Member 2013-2014-2015-2016
- Community contact information
- Moving company recommendations
- Assistance in choosing a Builder
- Assistance in Land Surveyed
- Recommended Architectural Service
- Appraisals and Property Evaluations
- Charles Bodie, Secretary of Exuma Chamber of Commerce, 2013, 2014, 2015
Bahama Villa Rentals:
732-391-5164 ~ USA
242-445-7350 ~ BAHAMA
Local Eateries, Exuma Bahamas
BEACHES OF EXUMA
POLICE MARCHING BAND
EXUMA's NATIONAL FAMILY ISLAND REGATTA ~
Wenshua Art Gallery, George Town, Exuma...Local Artist
ACTIVITIES ON EXUMA
- WATER TUBING
- HARBOUR TOURS
- AROUND STOCKING ISLAND
- BOAT TOURS
- SNORKELING REEFS
- COOKING OUT ON THE BEACH
- BEACH EXPLORING
- UNEXPLORED BEACHES
- EXUMA'S SWIMMING WITH THE PIGS
- KITE SURFING
- SWIMMING WITH THE SHARKS
- SWIMMING WITH THE DOLPHINS
- FEEDING THE STING RAYS
- 18 HOLE GOLF COURSE~GREG NORMAN SIGNATURE GOLF COURSE
- SPA DAYS
- BEACH COMBING